Monday, August 07, 2006

Why Blog?

I apologize for the inside jokes I wrote about in this post. I know it is very rude. I just couldn't resist because I took a small lashing that night for the hobby that blogging has become in my life. For future reference, always, always plead the 5th when asked how much time you spend on blog-related stuff during a week. Or, at least take your real answer and subtract 100.

But it did bring up several interesting questions: Why do people blog and why do we spend way too much time reading blogs of complete strangers?

This post by BooMama was discussing a different aspect of blogging, but there were several comments that shed light on the 'why blog' subject. Here's one that hit the nail on the head for me:

"I think the popularity of blogging is this. . .you can write about what you want, how you want, when you want. You can write about what you think--your feelings--your ideas. . .and since it's mostly "anonymous" (I only gave my web address to friends I knew love me no matter what), there is no real risk. Plus--you can get that cognitive stimulation with absolutely no money involved while in the comfort of your own home. Let's face it--a lot of people wouldn't have this many friendships were it not for cyberspace. We are limited on time and resources due to the hectic lifestyles we live in these modern times. So blogging is attractive--especially to women--because we can connect with others.

It may be a fad--if you want to call it that. I don't think we'd call quilting bees a fad--but we don't have them any more. It was a way for women to do hard work together while enjoying each other's company. Our lives are still the same--but now the hard part is too many choices and too many options. Blogging offers us a time to slow down, reflect, laugh, read, and enjoy the company of others."
Roxanne

My very first post outlined the reasons why I started this blog. But now that I've become part of the community, I can see the greater appeal, especially for women.

Women love to talk and get to know people. We love to hear details, we take comfort in knowing we're not the only one who sometimes misses the mark. We like to know others doubt. And cry. And question. That other moms get frustrated and blow it. And we like it, not because it makes us feel superior, but because we can identify with their struggle.

We know the pain they pour out and can empathize and encourage with our comments. And in some strange way, it helps us get through the day. We can identify and connect with moms we've never met in states we've never visited all because we dared to reveal the good, the bad and the ugly of our lives.

If I want to laugh, I hop on over to Rocks in My Dryer or BooMama. If I want to be challenged I head over to In the Midst of It. And if I want to read about one of my passions, communications and marketing, from another mom, I head over to this blog.

Ultimately, we all blog and read blogs for different reasons. Is it just a fad? Who knows? But I'm going to enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Got your own views? I'd love to hear them.

tag: Blogging



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am actually intrigued by the blogging and think I would enjoy it. I think I need a lesson in how to get started and a name. Yes...I need a name.