Thursday, July 19, 2007

A New Kind of Christian

A friend gave me the book A New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren to read a few years ago. I'm embarrassed to say that I've had it all this time and have only read a few pages. I just couldn't get into this book. A few weeks ago he asked if I still had the book; he'd like to have it back soon. Well, of course! But that lit a fire under me and I read the darn book in less than a week.

I really wanted to post some of my thoughts about this book but the subject matter is somewhat complex to explain if you haven't read it. However, the major premise is that since A.D. 1500 we have been living in a modern world. McLaren asserts that we are now living on the cusp of post modernity. The book goes on to explore what Christianity would look like in a post-modern world and what it means to pursue Jesus Christ in a new time in history.

"You see, if we have a new world, we will need a new church. We won't need a new religion per se, but a new framework for our theology. Not a new Spirit, but a new spirituality. Not a new Christ, but a new Christian. Not a new denomination, but a new kind of church in every denomination."

I don't agree with everything he puts forth in the book but he presents some fascinating arguments and challenges for today's Christian. If you have read the book, I would love to discuss it in more depth with you. Send me an e-mail and we can start the conversation.

If you haven't read the book, I encourage you to take a stab at it. It is actually presented as a fiction story, so you'll follow Pastor Dan Pool and Neo as they dialogue about what it means to be a new Christian. The whole idea of post-modernity and the emergent chruch is controversial in many circles, but I think they are ideas that deserve some thought and discussion as we seek to figure out how the church can reach the next generation.

I hope you'll join me in that discussion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, MIA--I haven't read this, but another friend just recommended all his books to me, so I hope to get it soon.