Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Get Out the Vote

There was a story on the news this morning about the the incentives that are being given to help turn out the vote. Some of the wackiest ideas included taking people via limo to their polling place and giving away free flu shots to people at the polls.

However, the reporter said that the best technique for getting out the vote was still simple word of mouth. The "old-fashioned" method of going door to door, banging on doors and engaging people face to face is still a very effective (albeit most time consuming) way to get people to vote.

But, the story concluded that the BEST and MOST effective voting incentive is when someone is personally asked to do so by a friend, neighbor or family member.

So, since an overwhelming majority of you are either a friend, neighbor or family member of mine, I'm personally encouraging each and every one of you to please go out and vote today. I don't care who you vote for (well, maybe I care just a little bit), but just vote.

And, after you do pull the lever, punch the chad, touch the screen or fill in the dot, come back here and leave me a comment letting me know you participated in one of the greatest privileges we have living in a democracy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I voted on my way to work Natalie.. and since I've voted in Florida, maybe my vote will count twice (ha ha).

Natalie said...

I was at the polls around noon and I was #544! I was afraid that I was going to have to wait since it was lunch time but there was no line at all. I must have beat the lunch time rush.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I voted today after he came home from work - I was #1149

Mrs. C said...

JC and I voted too. JCC came with me (his school was closed). I think it is great for our children to see how important it is to vote. Maybe we can actually get closer to 100% considering only 50% voted yesterday. THAT disgusts me.