Monday, November 06, 2006

Book Fair

I love to read but often don't have the time. I'm really good at starting books but have a hard time finishing them. And I'm even more disappointed when I spend my time reading a book that's mediocre or just plain bad.

Since I'm always in the search for a good book, I thought I'd share some of my favorites. I'd love to hear your favorites also.

1. Creative Correction by Lisa Whelchel: A lot of parenting books talk about the theories behind their particular parenting style. They are "big picture" but don't give a lot of nuts and bolts. Well, Lisa's book is one huge bucket of nuts and bolts. She gives hundreds of great ideas for everything from whining to lying to getting kids motivated to do chores. It is one of those books you can read over and over and discover something new each time.

2. The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman & Ross Campbell: I actually wrote about this book here. A great, great book for learning how to show love in a way that is meaningful to your child.

3. Homemade Hospitality by Barbara Sims: Dozens of practical pointers, recipes and unique, low-cost ideas that will help you welcome guests into your home with the lost art of hospitality.

4. things pondered by Beth Moore. I'm not a fan of poetry. Never understood it. But this book is a collection of poetry and vignettes that celebrates treasured moments in the life of every woman, wife and mother. Told from a fresh, personal perspective, these stories and poems celebrate children, Christmas, marriage, trials, friendship, seasons, grace, and above all, God's love for us. Excellent read. Would make a great Christmas gift.

5. How to Be a God Chaser and a Kid Chaser by Tommy Tenney. Prioritizing my passions while parenting is one of the things I struggle with most. It always boils down to how can I balance being a God chaser with being a kid chaser? Well, this book shows how passion and parenting can mix. Beth Alves, Dutch & Ceci Sheets, Cindy Jacobs and Thetus Tenney (Tommy's mother), among others, give a glimpse into their lives and how they raised children while still pursuing God. Excellent (and quick) read!!

6. What I Saw at the Revolution by Peggy Noonan. Peggy Noonan was a special assistant to President Reagan and worked on some of his most memorable speeches. This book shows us the world behind the words. With her keen sense of humor, this book provides a spirited account of a speechwriter's lonely life among bureaucrats and a woman's life in the pinnacle of politics.

2 comments:

This Journey of Mine said...

Those look good. I think I need to get my hands on How to Be a God Chaser and a Kid Chaser. That would help me greatly. Also, I really need to just finally read Lisa's book on Creative Correction! I am in need of some creativity in that department right now!

Anonymous said...

Thanks (again) for some suggestions of good books to read. I also love to read, but am finding it hard to find the time...I have to make the time!

I have several books on my nightstand also - 2 on top and about 4 on the bottom shelf.

The two that I have on the top are the Power of a Praying Wife (very good - I keep reading it over as needed), and The Bride (this has been a little hard to get into for various reasons, but I need to finish it by Dec, 3rd b/c I am in the book connection group with MIA!! - I still have about 300 pages to read...why am I typing!!!)

On the shelf I have the book and workbook The Secrets of the Secret Place (I believe that is the way the title goes) - I have read 3 chapters, and it is VERY good. I also have 2 Bibles there as well - NKJV and amplified. I like both of those version.

I will have to add these books that you suggested to my list of what I would like to read at some point!