Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Works for Me Wednesday: Upromise

This week, students at my alma mater are returning to campus for the start of another school year. I believe when I started college as a freshman (1988), the cost was around $11,000. Four years later I was paying around $15,000.

Today? The average cost of a four-year private institution is over $32,000. For a state university, you're talking $16,000 as a resident and $23,000 for a non-resident.

So, I'm thinking by the time my kids are ready for college we'll need a cool $65 or 75,000 per year. Ouch!

In addition to some traditional saving methods, we are also saving with Upromise. Every time you buy something from a Upromise contributing company like Gap, Lands End, McDonalds or a slew of other retail, auto, travel or grocery stores, a portion of your purchase price will be contributed to your Upromise account. You then may choose to link your Upromise account to a 529 savings plan.

To help you save even more, you can invite family members and friends to also join Upromise and contribute into your account. Upromise will even send out an "invitation" to everyone you know. Joining is free and it takes no time at all.

And, that works for me! Visit Shannon at www.rocksinmydryer.typepad.com for my great tips and ideas.

tag: Works for Me Wednesday

5 comments:

Ms. Kathleen said...

This is an excellent tip and thanks bunches!!

Carol said...

The cost of higher ed is just staggering, isn't it? I guess they're all leaving school in debt up to their morter boards now?

PastormacsAnn said...

I followed the link and bookmarked the site - I'm going to check it out. Maybe this is something we can do once we have our Ethiopian babies home.

Gina Conroy said...

We do Upromise but I think we've only saved $5. I guess I need to spend more to save more!

Natalie said...

Gina,

The quickest way to save money in your Upromise account is to get their credit card. Then every purchase you make gets credited to your account.

We've been participating in Upromise for two years and have saved about $600.