Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Get with it, Pennsylvania

I just wanted to clarify something about this post regarding the Family Watchdog Site. I gave out the information before I looked thoroughly at the site.

When I plugged my information in only one "dot" came up on the map. I thought that was a little strange, but was thrilled that there was only one sexual offender within my community. Wrong!

If you live in Pennsylvania, there is a law that prohibits the exact address of a sex offender to be published. If you click on "Non-mappable offender" an entire list will come up for your community. It will include their picture and the town that they either work or live in, but you won't be able to pinpoint their location. In my case, 9 pages of sexual offenders came up.

We've heard that if you go to your local police and ask if there are any violent sexual offenders in your neighborhood that they must provide you with that information. Otherwise, unless you memorize all the pictures, you won't know if you actually have a sexual offender down your street.

This is not true for most other states, just Pennsylvania. The site should work just fine for everyone, except Pennsylvania. What's up with that, Pennsylvania?

tag: Tried & True Tips

1 comment:

Ms. Kathleen said...

This is an excellent tip. Thanks!!