Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Works for Me Wednesday: Saving Time in the Grocery Store

Have you ever gotten to the last row of the grocery store and realized you forgot fruit snacks back in aisle 2? So you zip back to aisle 2 and then remember you needed flour from aisle 5. So you truck over to aisle 5 and then just as you approach the checkout you hear your husband's last words to you, "Don't forget to buy strawberries." So now it's over to produce.

Well, I have a solution for all that grocery store running around! I created a grocery store map that allows me to make out my shopping list in the order of the aisles in my local store. As I make out my list, I'm automatically putting them into the aisle where they are. So there's no more running around the store like a chicken with my head cut off.

To make your own, simply write down what categories of food are in what aisles. Most stores have a listing of what's in each aisle, just ask for it at the customer service desk. Or, look at the sign above each aisle for a good description. I created my document in Excel (see picture).

To go along with this idea, you can also set up your coupons in the same way. Instead of sorting them by categories, sort them by the aisles in your store. Then when you get to aisle 3, you just go to the corresponding tab and there's the coupons for all the items that can be found in aisle 3.

With the invention of the mega grocery store, these two tips have saved me lots of time and money.

If you want to see more great ideas, go over to Shannon's place, she is the host of WFMW and the creator of Rocks In My Dryer.

tag: Works for Me Wednesday

17 comments:

Natalie said...

Ladies, My example of my grocery list didn't post well. I'd be happy to email you a copy, if you like.

Unknown said...

I can see the example. It looks really nice. I do a sort of this method on my list (upper right corner, upper left corner etc), but it ends up messy, and confused, and it's not in the "right" order. I may take some time to do this.

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

I do this and it DOES save a ton of time. I also get 3 carts and give one cart to my husband and one cart to my eldest child--we try to get out in under 1.5 hours. With a 2 week menu and 3 full carts, that is sometimes hard to pull off.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I do this also. I think I'd never get out of the store if I didn't! I like your grocery list template--thanks for sharing that great idea.

Anonymous said...

Great idea - I used to write my list in order...until my local grocery store decided to rearrange everthing...that was a real nightmare trying to find the peanut butter!

Anonymous said...

I think this is an excellent idea and I do something similar. I use a computer program (free) called shopping list. I set up the categories to match an aisle in the grocery store I shop in. They print out in alphabetical order, not in the order of the store, but that makes it easy to find on the list.

Overwhelmed! said...

Great idea! Can you email me a copy at adoptive_mom_1@yahoo.com? I'd love to get a closer look!

I've posted a WFMW tip as well. Stop by and take a peek. :)

Stephanie said...

I. Love. This. I am ridiculously OCD & typically grocery shopping leaves me frazzled. I am SO making my own tonight! Thanks!

Shalee said...

If I used that list, how would I get all my exercise?! I'm always running back and forth...

But from a practical standpoint, this idea rocks.

Mall Worker said...

What a great idea! I never would have thought to organize the grocery list that way! It really would save a lot of time!

Sandra said...

What a great idea, I can totally use this. Thanks for such a great tip :)

amelia said...

I've semi-organized my lists like this, but this will definitely take my tiime saving to the next level! Thanks for the tip!

Andi @ udandi / Lunch It Punch It said...

I run back and forth, but I blame Kroger for not laying out every store exactly the same (since I don't always shop at the same one) way!

Joy @ SAH Missionary said...

I like it!! Being a non-organized thinker, I should use something like this...to keep my head on straight!!
Blessings,
Joy

Unknown said...

Works for me! That's how I do it, too!

Mama Duck said...

Great idea! I wish I was that organized, I always run back and forth ;).

PastormacsAnn said...

Good idea. I'm definitely that person walking to the very farthest side of the store for something I forgot to get while I was there.