Wednesday, June 27, 2007

One Year Ago

One year ago I took the plunge into blogging. I'd like to say I had spent months or at least weeks weighing the pros and cons of starting my own blog; in reality, I think I spent a grand total of 48 hours contemplating the decision that would forever corrupt my life and the life of all my friends.

I've been asked a few times what it is that I get out of blogging---or as Dr. Phil would say, "What's the pay off?" Because, as we all know, there is definitely not a 'pay off' that involves cashing a check or making a living. We all do this for the love of the blog.

In my very first post I listed the 10 reasons I was starting off on this journey. I'd say they are the same reasons I still blog today. I enjoy the give and take, the sharing of ideas, tips and recipes, and the peace that comes from knowing you're not the only one who messes up daily.

But to be honest, my motives starting this blog were not all benevolent. As someone who had aspirations as a kid to be an investigative reporter or prize-winning author, blogging was a natural fit with my desire to write and to be read. All writers want an audience; even if your writing is just mindless drivel about poo.

So one of my goals was to use this blog as a way to discipline myself to write daily; just as a way to do something I enjoy while keeping my skills sharp. I challenged myself to write once a day and gave myself the weekends off. If I do the math correctly, that means I should have logged 260 posts. (Drum roll please) I have posted 326!!

I'm not as excited about the number of posts as I am about actually accomplishing a year-long goal. I can't think of many other things that I've persevered for that long.

I admit I have a secret love affair with my SiteMeter, but only because it acts as my caller id for all the fine people around the world who accidentally find me. It's great to know that On Fire is checking in on me when I see Concord, NC listed or Six in the Mix from Greensboro, NC. I'm also tickled pink that I have so many loyal fans from the Indiana region; of course, they are all family and they have to read me!

And while that is all nice and makes me feel warm and gooey inside, there has been an unexpected pay off I never would've predicted: the opportunity to get to know some women in my life in a deeper way. Admittedly, most of them were really mere acquaintances as we only allowed time for pleasantries; now I know so much more about their families, their walks with Christ, what they struggle with and how I can pray for them, and how truly wonderful they all are as moms. I count it a privilege to call them my blogging buddies (they know who they are)!

While some could look at my 48-hour decision as irresponsible and rash, I know now it was just another example of God's creativity in knitting the hearts together of women who are just trying to be the best moms they know how to be, but need a little TLC and encouragement along the way.

Sign me up for another year!

7 comments:

Plain and Simple said...

Happy anniversary! I love reading all of the cool stuff you write about!

The Gang's Momma! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Gang's Momma! said...

I am so glad you did this and that you are signing up for another year. Cheers!

Here's to another year of toilet paper tales and "my brain is bigger than yours" factoids! Mostly, though, here's to many more posts that encourage me and all your other readers. Your wisdom and insight, coupled with your compassion and firm footed reality, have been consistent inspirations to me over this year.

And thanks for the corruption - you were right, every weird thing that happens to me instantly becomes fodder for a post in my mind!!!

Happy One Year!

This Journey of Mine said...

I am thankful that you started blogging. Look at the rest of us!

And Six in the Mix, is so close to us! Didn't know that!

Promises said...

It is amazing that you have been blogging for one year already! I have really enjoyed reading your blog and now enjoy writing one too - although I do not write everyday! I enjoy all of the tips that you share!

Mrs. C said...

I am so grateful for the talent that God has blessed you with and your willingness to use that to encourage and bless other women.

I know you have inspired me!

Looking forward to another year!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on reaching one year!! That's a major accomplishment, especially considering how frequently you post. Can't wait to see what else you have in store!! :-)