Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Here Goes Nothing

Hey, look over there! Is that Patrick Dempsey walking into Giant?




Hmm, maybe not. Well, let's move along. Nothing to see here.


(Let the record state that the scale reads 156.5)

Our question this first week is "What three things could you do today to start living healthier?" I've actually been thinking about this for a while so I've got 5 to share today. These are simple things that I just started doing (consistently and purposefully) to help jump start my weight loss.

1. Stop drinking soda. This is going to be hard for me because I love soda. Over ice. From the fountain. I'm salivating just thinking about it. But I've read a single can of coke per day can make you gain 15 pounds of body weight annually. Here's a good article on CNN.com that explains how Americans are drinking themselves fat.

2. Drink more water. This should be easier to accomplish now that I won't have the soda to take its place. Rule of thumb is that you drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day, but the amount of water a person needs varies depending on his or her weight and activity level.

Another way to determine your specific recommended water intake is to divide your weight (in pounds) by two. The resulting number is the number of ounces of water you need each day. For example, I weigh 155 lbs. so I should strive to drink 78 ounces of water daily.

3. Don't eat 2-3 hours before bedtime. According to Bob Greene, Oprah's fitness and nutrition expert, you should not eat 2 to 3 hours before going to sleep because your body needs to tap into its food fat stores. If it's working to digest your just eaten food, it won't do that. The discomfort of being a little hungry will eventually pass. This will also be difficult because I'm an evening snacker. Reality TV and snacks are like peas and carrots.

4. Take a good multi-vitamin daily. I'm not consistent with this one so I need to make it part of my morning routine.

5. Eight hours of sleep a night. I'm usually operating on 6-7 hours. Last night I only got 5. I need to purpose myself to be upstairs by 10:00 so I can get ready for bed and read a little. Lights out at 11:00. If not sooner :)

Well, those are the five things I'm incorporating into my routines. Most of you gave your suggestions in the comments of the last post, but feel free to expand on your ideas in a post and link up today. Also, I'm looking for any other brave souls who want to join me in our quest for better fitting pants. You can also declare your intentions and link up so we can all encourage each other each week.

Next Monday's Question: Are you an emotional eater? Do you eat when you're bored. Just love to eat?


8 comments:

Kelli said...

You are amazing and brave.

The advice you posted is good and I know it, but I jsut can't seem to do it. Very little dicipline with my body, I suppose. I'm going to try, though. I'll only drink one Bob (pretend Dr. Pepper) a day and I'll drink more water. One thing at a time. :)

Melissa said...

Those are all great...and, you are indeed brave. Fountain Diet Coke and high quality coffee are way too ingrained into my lifestyle to try to eliminate. I'd have to go into a semi-comatose, heavily medicated state to survive without either one for more then a couple of days.

My little tip is not to buy clothes the next size up when you gain weight. I absolutely REFUSE to do it, so if I want to avoid being limited to 1 pair of fat jeans and elastic waistband sweat pants I better get my act together. That's the place I'm at right now. I can't wear many of my favorite jeans at this moment; however, when I shopped for a new pair of dress pants for work, I bought the same size I already own knowing that I need to drop a few pounds to fit into them comfortably. I'll be linking up and joining you....my Wii Fit goal is to get my BMI down to 22% and to shed about 20 pounds.

The Gang's Momma! said...

Kudos to you all. I'm trying to work up the bravery and self-discipline to join. This nasty cold and cough and nagging head-ache is leading the way for now.

My tip, when I do jumpstart, is to track my food. I've been a Weight Watcher with great success, but fell off the wagon since we've moved. That's the goal I have for myself, when my head clears up and I can think past when the next dose of cold medicine comes . . .

Promises said...

I definitely want to join with you all too! I have to agree with the Gang's Mama - I have to get over this cold before I feel like exercising!

I can say that these are the things that I feel that I can try to change now (I am taking your ideas, but making them my own by writing them here!):

1. I need to drink more water, again - I was really good at this during different points of last year, but lately, not so good. I just don't drink much of anything! If I do drink something it is water though - so, just need to increase it!

2. Get MORE SLEEP! I am such a night owl, but it has been detremental to my health - and I have been tired a lot! So, I will need to try and get into bed between 10-11pm also.

3. Stop eating after dinner - I definitely have liked to have a snack now and then - but that will stop!

4. Multivitamin - I havebeen very lax in this too...will start that again!

Thanks for starting this up!

I am making myself two goals. My first goal is to lose 8(ish) pounds - that way I will be back at my pre-Brady weight. These pounds have been so hard to lose!My next goal will be to lose another 13 pounds - so, my total will be 21 pounds.

Beautiful Grace said...

This comment is a reprint of one I left on another site.

Hey, you guys might be interested in the USDA's website @ http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/Default.htm

You can enter the food you eat, and it automatically gives nutritional information, including calories. It can keep track of your activities and automatically deducts the calories you burned. I love it. It also has a section with smiley or frowny faces to let you know how you're doing with the various food groups. Right now I have two frowny face for milk and fruit groups.

I like this program because it makes me think about what I'm going to eat before I eat it, and it keeps me accountable because I don't like to get frowny faces.

Even if you're not trying to lose weight it's good, because it helps one eat more healthfully.

Livin' Life said...

Hey next monday stop over and I will set you up on the Wii fit. You can even make your own little character. The Wii is very funny though and will make snide little comments. It's a cheeky little devil. Seriously!!

Erica said...

Hi! I found this blog today and think it's really neat. Have you thought about drinking Kombucha? Whenever I feel the craving for soda I will buy a bottle. It has the fizz like soda, but is actually a GOOD drink for you to drink. I am trying to make my own this week, so we will see how it turns out! But I encourage you to try it. They sell them at The Healthy Grocer and even started carrying them at Giant in the Organic Section in the cooler (but only 2 flavors)

NenasLove said...

This is great. A couple of things that I would suggest and try to stick with doing are:

1. You should eat within 30 - 45 minutes after you wake up in the morning. This starts your metabolism. Now if you excercise within this time frame great. Remember to feed you body protein after a workout. This will build your lean body mass. Fuel your muscles=burn the fat.

2. Protein Intake: If you are not trying to lose weight you should be eating around 75g but for weight loss that number is increased to 100g-125g depending on your body. NOt just aniaml protein but pant based proteins as well. This is according to the Center for Human Nutrition at UCLA.
It amazes me that if I am not following this how I plateau.