Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sid Is Cool!


I know not everyone chooses to watch TV, but for those who do and have preschool or kindergarten age kiddos, there is a neat new show on PBS Kids this fall - Sid the Science Kid.

In the sea of shows about words and reading (which are great but can become obsessed upon in our household), it is nice to see a program that exposes young children to scientific concepts at their level. Each week a different topic is highlighted; for example, last week was scientific tools, and this week is the senses.

I watched the whole first week with Michael and was especially impressed that the Friday show was actually a review of what had been covered that week. What a great idea!

Another aspect of the show that I like is the way it establishes routines. Each show covers one day, starting with Sid getting ready in the morning and going down to breakfast with the family and ending with Sid going to bed at night. In between, he goes to school, which is broken up into the same segments each day. It really gives the overall picture for kids who may not have that knowledge yet.

Plus each transition is cued by a song, and how cool would it be if parents and teachers all sang to the kids when it was time to switch to a new activity??

There is a section on the PBS Kids website devoted to Sid and his pals, with some fun games and activities. But watch out, you may be forced to watch the entire two week cycle of a sandwich decaying - gross!

You can find Trish at Another Piece of the Puzzle and also at 5 Minutes for Special Needs.

5 comments:

Livin' Life said...

I like Sid too. I have let the boys go online and explore the site. They were all interested.

It would be great to transition kids with singing but at our house me singing is actually a punishment tool for the boys. They always yell "We'll stop fighting we promise just stop singing." :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. My youngest spends quite a lot of time on the pbskids.org website. I'll be sure to check it out with him.

Kelli said...

I heart Sid. Really, really I do. I love him more than Super Why and way more than anything on the Disney Channel. (Enven though I am a Disney freak)

Mrs. C said...

We're fans too. How could I not like the science aspect? It thrills me to see them promoting children to ask questions, hypothesize and investigate.

Hands-Free Heart said...

Yep, we love him too. Squiggly-Wiggly just discovered it when he was home sick, and saw an ad. I had to promise to record it for him since he's never home when it's on. He's now seen 2 episodes and is beggin for more.