Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Not Just Another Poopy Story


My cousin Chris, over at The Back Door, mentioned in a post awhile back that she needed clothes for her daughter. I told her that I had tons of clothes and that I'd put together a box and ship them to her. Well, time passed and even though I had already packed the clothes in a box, I just hadn't shipped it yet.

Then, my mom decided to go back to Indiana last week and was going to see Chris' mom during her visit. So I asked my mom if she could just take the box with her and give to Aunt Marta when she saw her.

Easy, breezy plan, right?

It would've been except when my mom was loading her luggage into another aunt and uncle's car at the airport, the box was inadvertently left on the curb. She did not realize she didn't have the box until the next afternoon.

So she calls me in a panic to inform me of the missing box. My first response is that we'll probably never see the box again and that's okay because it was just clothes. My second response was that an unattended box that is duck taped together and left on the curb of an airport is probably going to cause a little stir---if you get my drift.

Because I'm a realist, I envision Delta's entire baggage claim area being shut down and a robot being sent it to check out the suspicious package. Still not sure what they are dealing with, the homeland security agents are not swayed by the cute, smiling baby looking at them from the side of the box. They are pretty sure it is a ploy and decide to go ahead and detonate the box and thus destroy the weapons of mass destruction that are hidden among the extra-absorbent diapers.

After the smoke clears, they send in a team of bomb sniffing dogs who emerge with something so disturbing they decided they must keep their discovery top secret and warn Secretary Chertoff to not breathe a word during the ensuing press conference. After all, who would ever believe that they delayed travelers for 5 hours and risked arm and limb to recover Strawberry Shortcake leggings, Barbie PJs and a princess sweater.

Feeling confident that I'm going to have to do a lot of explaining to men in suits, I call the airport's guest services office and start explaining my dilemma. Before I get two sentences out, the lady interrupts me and says,

"Is it a Pampers box?"

"Well, as a matter of fact it is," I said somewhat taken back by her quick knowledge of my box.

When my mom picked up the box on her way back home, the lady wouldn't give many details, but insinuated that the box had caused quite a stir and had been the object of some "activity."

Maybe I don't have such a vivid imagination after all...

4 comments:

This Journey of Mine said...

Oh my goodness!

Emily said...

That is too funny!

the back door said...

this little box of clothes is going to make quite the rounds before it finds its way here....i'll love having a story to tell to each person who comments on my little girls "new" clothes!! i love a good story:)

i appreciate all the effort the entire families are now having to make for this little pampers box to get to its final destination!

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I usually read, but never comment, I can't let this one go. THe pampers box has arrived in the first grade class at Faith. The school administrator (family member) brought it in and got all the kids in a dither because they figured there was a cute furry animal inside! I was a little puzzled at first and then remembered that my mom told me to be expecting this package. It has yet to reach it's destination!