Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What's Your Plan?

I love a good plan. Plans allow you to accomplish a large task and to have meaningful and measurable growth. They focus you and keep you on task. These days, people formulate plans for everything from birthing a baby to retirement.

But have you ever thought of formulating a spiritual plan for yourself? Your kids?

In an interview that appeared in June 2007 issue of Charisma, Secretary of State Dr. Condoleezza Rice mentioned that after the 2008 election she wants to return to academic life and she would also like to "focus her attention on developing spiritually."

"I'm one of God's worst planners," she admits. "But in the last year or so, I have been struggling with the fact that I think I do need a plan for the development of my spiritual life...I think that there are really three aspects that to this plan for me.

"The first is I have to have a better unity of faith and reason in my personal life, in my personal relationship with God.

"I cannot remember a single day when I questioned the existence of God. My danger was quite another, and that is that if you are that certain in your religious faith, you go on autopilot about it. I, in fact, have sometimes wished I had been one of those people with a conversion experience...because the danger to just 'let it ride,' if you will, not growing in your personal faith if you are as religious as I am, is very great.

"Now, the second part of this plan is to try to get closer to my church and my faith-based community."

Dr. Rice wants to be more pointed in building relationships with other believers who have a more mature faith than her, mentors, if you will, that she can draw upon for their experience, wisdom and encouragement.

"The most difficult and third part of my plan is to figure out what the role in all of this is of profession and proselytizing and being a contagious Christian," she continues. "I was really struck by the comment of a friend who read an article about me in the San Jose Mercury News.

"In this article it said that I was an evangelical Christian. This very good friend of mine said, 'You know, that was a great article about you...but you're not an evangelical Christian.' And I thought, Yeah, but I am. But I started wondering what was it about me that those words somehow in her mind didn't fit who I was. She knows I'm a Christian.

Do any of Dr. Rice's three points resonate with you?

What would your three points be if you wrote your own plan?

What's your plan?

1 comment:

Promises said...

This is a great post - I know that I need to deepen and develop my Christian walk too. I know that some of the things that I am trying to do more regularly is:
1. Spend time in the Bible - daily. That is sometime hard to find the time, but it is so important!

2. Worship - with my family

3. I know that I need to continue to ask the Lord where He would have me (and our family) serve together and also to deepen relationships with other believers - some who we are already friends with, but we need to develop the friendship more.

4. Develop a "plan" as to how to reach out to our neighbors more effectively.

So, that is what I am thinking at the moment.