Monday, November 27, 2006

I'm living in a freaking Think Tank

For those of you who aren't football fans, please humor me with this post. But my husband is a huge college football fan and so our entire fall has been filled with games he's watching live, games he's taping, games he's watching live and taping so he can watch all the magic again, games he's taping that turn out to be flops so he never watches. You get the gist.

On Saturday night, I was watching the end of the USC and Notre Dame game with him. At the very end they kept showing shots of the two quarterbacks. The one from USC, John David Booty (no, I'm not making that up), is very good looking. And, for that matter, Brady Quinn from ND is also good looking.

Anywho, Jim says, "Isn't he a pretty boy?", referring to John David Booty. To which I replied, "Absolutely. He looks like he could be a model."

So, immediately my mind starts thinking of all the quarterbacks I'm familiar with (college and pro) and I say, "Why is it that the quarterback is always a pretty boy? I mean they always are good looking. You don't ever see an ugly quarterback."

"Yeah, you're right," said my husband, now also distracted by this very deep revelation.

I actually could've left the conversation end right there. But Jim then pipes up with a very profound observation.

"It's probably because (they're cute) they've always had a lot of confidence (i.e. cockiness) and been thrust in leadership positions (i.e. leader of the popular group), all stuff that you need to make it as a quarterback."

Interesting? What do you gals (and guys) think?

Is the reason that most quarterbacks are good looking because their looks helped prepare them for the position or is it just a coincidence? Or, maybe you disagree with the original premise that all quarterbacks are good looking.

I know, I know...life altering discussion here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that MOST quarterbacks are good looking, not all - I am more of a fan of professional football, and there are a few that would not be considered good looking - just can't name any right now!

I am not sure. Jim definitely has a point - I am leaning towards aggreeing with him, at the moment

Anonymous said...

Former Eagles backup QB Koy Detmer would be an example of an exception to the rule. Although, maybe the rule only applies to starting quarterbacks.

I would also propose that the physical qualities required to be a good quarterback (versus a good lineman) tend to correspond with 'pretty' attributes -- proportional body shape, tall, muscular, tough chin, broad shoulders, etc. You don't often see a good quarterback who's short, squat and flabby (until they retire).

Anonymous said...

I have no idea how cute any football players are ...there could be monkeys in those uniforms and I wouldn't know the difference!! However, Jim's theory sounds pretty convincing (I'll run it by Jay later!).

Anonymous said...

Good grief.... What exactly does the quarterback do? And how can you see him through the helmets?

Anonymous said...

Just being painfully honest here: I'm looking less at the cute faces and more at the ridiculously tight pants, wondering how on earth any of them can feel even slightly masculine in leggings that definitely don't flatter their tight little butts!
Tracy W
PS MK: I don't know if I believe that you've never noticed if they are cute or not? :)