Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Works-for-Me-Wednesday: Closet Organization


Much to my chagrin, the dipping temperature has been causing us to reach for our winter apparel. For a family of five, that equals a mound of winter gloves, hats, scarves, and earmuffs. So, to keep order I came up with a simple organization solution.

I bought small bins from the dollar store, one for each family member. I wrote each person's name on an index card and attached to the front of their bin. Then, I filled each bin with that person's winter stuff. I place the bins on two shelves at the top of the closet. And, voila!, an easy way to identify where each person's winter belongings can be found.

The kids know exactly where to put away their stuff so they can find it the next time. It has been one of the best and easiest organization solutions in our house.

For over 100 more tips, visit Shannon at Rocks In My Dryer.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea. Hubby was looking for his gloves before he went to work yesterday and they are no where to be found. With your system, we wouldn't have wasted 5 minutes in the morning looking for something and then still come up empty.

Thrills

Anonymous said...

That's a neat idea!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try that. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I was just talking to my DH about doing something like this - GREAT IDEA! Thanks!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Great idea. It's time for me to dig out all our cold-weather gear and this is a fantastic way to organize it.

Anonymous said...

I have eight children...we have this exact problem. What a great way to store all of their belongings!

Tracy

Unknown said...

Great idea. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You know I love this idea, and I've adopted something similar. What I don't understand is why you haven't moved them to a lower area of your closet... Don't you still have to get the bins down for the kids in order for them to put their stuff away? I'm all about cutting out the "middle man" aka "me" and having them do it all themselves :)