Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Bathroom Banter

I've been really struck lately by how many restaurants, stores or other public venues don't have changing tables or areas to care for a baby or toddler. Recently, I was in a public bathroom that was the size of a closet. So what do you do when you have to change a baby's diaper? Well, you stand him in the sink and pray it's not a poopy diaper. (it wasn't). Next day, another restaurant and again no place to change a diaper. So, I lug everyone back out to the van and I change him on the seat (it was poopy).

A few days later, we were in a store. This time there was a place to change diapers, however, it was filthy. So I sit on a toilet, put my kid on my lap and change his diaper.

Although I don't expect every place to cater to a baby's needs, it's definitely a factor in determining where I go sometimes. So, where have you found great kid-friendly facilities?

One place I like is the bathrooms in the new food court at the Capital City Mall. They have a separate room off the main bathroom area with a chair for nursing and a large changing area.

Your favorite places to take care of business?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite places - the women's bathroom at CCC. I have also used changing tables at Michael's and AC Moore - and I cannot remember which one was nicer. I have not done it at any restaurants yet.

I agree with you - not many places think about the diaper change that needs to occur!