Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Sydney Bristo Meets "Brown Sugar"

I use to be a fan of the show Alias. Each week we'd tune in to see what secret mission Sydney Bristo was assigned. I always wondered if real secret agents ever encountered the numerous torture devices that Sydney did. That poor girl suffered teeth extraction, shock therapy, water submersion and just plain old beatings so she would break down and give in to the demands of her captors. She never did.

But I think I may have found a force that even Sydney Bristo, or Superman for that matter, would have broken under: the continuous whine of a 4 year old.

For nearly three hours today, my sweet cup of "Brown Sugar" whined about various injustices in her life. At one point, all she said for probably 1/2 hour was my name. Over and over and over and over again.

When I was a kid we visited a wax museum in British Columbia. I'll never forget this one room that contained an old Chinese water torture contraption. The prisoner would sit in something like a bird cage and a single drip of water would fall on his forehead repeatedly until it drove him mad. Drip, drip, drip, drip, drip, drip, drip, drip. You get the idea.

To me, whining is like the Chinese water torture. It brought me to a breaking point today where I did the unthinkable. I folded and put away a basket full of dirty laundry. Driven to such distraction by the drip, drip, drip of her whine I actually FOLDED AND PUT AWAY A BASKET OF DIRTY LAUNDRY.

I know this will be a funny story someday, but for now, I have laundry to do.

No comments: