Friday, July 14, 2006

Weekend Reflections

I was never one of those girls who grew up dreaming about becoming a mom. I didn't have my kids' names picked out when I was 12 and I didn't long to have a large family. Nope, motherhood, while expected, was not emphatically embraced.

I was a career woman. I loved working. I loved the feedback and accolades from my co-workers. I loved traveling. I loved the deadlines and the satisfaction of completing projects. I loved my co-workers and the mission of the organization I worked for. I was happy.

So, when I did get pregnant I knew my life would never be the same. We had always agreed that I would be a SAHM but I knew in order to accept my new role I would need God to change my priorities.

A friend encouraged me to pray that by the time I was to quit my job, God would change my heart. I took her advice and slowly, over the next nine months, I became less interested in my job and more excited about this next stage of our lives. Yet, I feared the things I once was passionate about would take a back seat to rattles and late night feedings.

Like most people, I had stereotypes about SAHM's. I was imagining my brain turning to mush, endless stories about my children would be my only topic of conversation, and my passions and interests would have to be shelved for the next 20 years.

Luckily, God had other plans. Before we told anyone I was pregnant, I received a call from our church asking if I would serve as the volunteer editor of our new church magazine. Wow, even before the baby was born, God was letting me know that He held my life in His hands and that He was not going to let me enter motherhood alone.

Six years and three kids later, I can honestly say that I really enjoy being a SAHM although it is the hardest job I've ever had. It requires constant creativity, ingenuity, time management, and communication and leadership skills. But I've also learned things about God as a SAHM that I would've never learned in the workplace. I knew God loved me but I didn't realize the extent of that love. He does care about every hair on my quickly graying head. And because He loves me, He continues to faithfully send me the right word of encouragement or a new friend with similar interests just when I need it.

Even on my worst parenting day, I've never longed to go back to work. Someday I will, but for now, I know that God will continue to supply all my needs and that's just fine with me!

tag: Motherhood

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ain't this the truth. Thanks Natalie for sharing. Going from career-woman to SAHM was a long-time dream for me. I thought it would be easy and effortless once the baby popped out. Turns out it takes major adjusting. With the next one on the way, I think I need to spend more time in prayer to ease into this even busier life.

boomama said...

Great post. I love reading about God's faithfulness...very encouraging to read about your journey!

Lori said...

I worked for 7 years as a secretary and at that time had 3 kids. I quit when pregnant with my 4th baby and NEVER regreted it. I love being SAHM.

Thanks for sharing.