Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Seashore at Your Door


We took the family to the boardwalk yesterday---the Hersheypark Boardwalk, that is. As a great American once said, oH mY woRD!!!! What a fabulous addition this area is to Hersheypark. They really outdid themselves this time to celebrate their 100th Anniversary. Jim thinks this now makes the park a two-day excursion--I agree. You can spend the entire day just at The Boardwalk...and we did!
Here are some of my observations from the day:
  • "Are those sea gulls I hear? Are those waves lapping against the shore I hear? Is that the bullhorn from a passing ship, I hear?" The piped in sounds and beach music was great.
  • The attention to safety within The Boardwalk was very noticeable. I think the 1:3 ratio and free life jackets for the wee ones gave it away.
  • The East Coast Water Works attraction (pictured above) is nothing put a giant playground for boys...and not so little boys (aka: Dads). For the rest of us, it was quite annoying to not be able to move 1 cm without being pelted in the face with water. However, once we told the girls it was okay to "fight back," all was good. When you go, you'll understand.
  • You can spend hours watching all sizes, genders and shapes try the Waverider. Good times! We especially enjoyed watching Jim riding the waves.
  • I forgot how much I liked Nathan's Hot dogs, especially while I'm strolling on The Boardwalk.
  • Sparkle tells me the water at the Bayside Pier was salt water. Can't confirm or deny that rumor.
  • Get there early to stake out a lounge chair at Bayside Pier or in the Waterworks.
  • Toddlers aren't left out at Sandcastle Cove. What a great area that is just for them.
  • If anyone knows what the boardwalk "planks" are made of, I'd sure like to know. Jim says it's stamped concrete. I really just don't know but I think it was heat resistent.
  • Jim took Sparkle on the Coastline Plunge--Whirlwind and I think she almost had a heart attack. A little too much ride for Miss Sparkle.

We've always enjoyed Hersheypark but this new attraction just moved them up the foodchain of amusement parks. If you haven't visited yet, make sure you plan a trip. And, if you want to score a few free tickets, check out the Patriot-News on Tuesdays and Thursdays. They are running a summer reading program that will reward kids who complete it with a free ticket to Hersheypark.


We all deserve a little Hersheypark Happiness this summer!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Yay! Another "Hersheypark Happy" friend to share the bliss!!

Melissa said...

Oh, yeah. It's salt water. Someone splashed me when I was walking by and I got a mouithful of it.

Yup, definately salt water.