Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Motherhood: What YOU DO IS Significant!

I was having a conversation with someone the other day, and something that was (innocently) said, kind of struck me - especially with what I began to write about last month. (Before I continue, I do want to say that this person did not intentionally mean to offend me, and I am not upset with this person at all. )

The said person was telling me about a former classmate of theirs. The statement below is what really stuck out to me:

"I never thought that she would do anything significant in her life...I figured that she would get married and have a bunch of kids...but she is a town clerk - which is an elected position!"

This really hit me. It made me realize what some people really think:

SAHM = Insignificant Job

As a former high school teacher and a current SAHM, I have to say that I completely disagree with this thought process. Spending time with our children and choosing to raise them ourselves is a very significant job! We are responsible for instilling so many things into them including: our faith, love, confidence, humor, respect for themselves and others, love for one another, and the list goes on.

Instilling love and values into our children is an important job, and I will change the equation above to:

SAHM = SIGNIFICANT JOB!

1 comment:

Mrs. C said...

I agree with you and would add that simply choosing to be mom is significant - whether you are home full time or not.