Thursday, September 18, 2008

Enjoying the Journey: Homeschool


We started back up with homeschooling in our home. I've been at it for about 3 weeks now. Once again, I have found that I absolutely adore teaching my children. Really, I do.

EJ is quite a good reader. So, the hard part is out of the way, for me. And the fun of teaching him new and interesting facts has begun. This year we are using the curriculum Adventures in My Father's World. We are exploring US History together.

I spent some time with a homeschool coordinator. She looked over my choices for curriculum's and listened to my heart and my childs learning abilities. She wisely encouraged me to take things slowly and enjoy each lesson to the fullest.

I took her advice to heart. What I have realized is that instead of plowing through each lesson, I've marinated in them.

Over the last two weeks we've talked about two big things, names and vikings. This year, we will be focusing on all the names of God, their meanings, the scriptures that back them up, and how it applies to our life. We started with EJ's name first. Exploring his name, included in a letter written by me about how we chose his name, standing out in the rain and writing his name in shaving cream, a self portrait, and a discussion around the dinner table about each and every persons name and their meanings.

We are also exploring vikings, since Leif Ericcson was the first person to really explore the coast of America. It was so fun, to read about viking life. I found a First Facts book at the library about vikings. It was complete with wonderful pictures. EJ devoured the book, inhaling their lifestyle, clothing, homes, and who they persecuted. He was particularly sad with all the turmoil and hurt that vikings caused others.

Of course, we have science (his favorite subject right now), math, letter writing, copywork, and more that we work on daily. However, what I love the most is that instead of driving him to just learn the facts and get the school work done, we are savoring the lessons.

One of the things that my homeschool advisor shared with me was how the bible talks about hiding the scriptures in our heart. It never says, drill them into your brain. Again, she wisely shared with me that its the same with teaching my children. Drilling facts into poor EJ's brain will most probably set him up to fail, down the line. But adding color and experience to each lesson, coupled with great books, patience, and love will give him a true education.


Contributor:
Becky Schreiber

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, will you be my teacher? Your lessons sound amazing!

Natalie said...

What a gift to feel so comfortable in your role as teacher. I know many moms who have taken several years to find their groove. Sounds like a perfect fit.