Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Extreme Makeover: Gardening Edition

Aren't the hostas in front of my house gorgeous this year!



There are so big and full and vibrant. And, look, they are just getting ready to bloom.




These 5 hostas are underneath a weeping cherry tree that is also in my front yard. Have you ever seen so much green goodness? Man, they're beautiful.
Well, now you see them...


And now you don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What happened to all that fullness and vibrant life?



Where's the green goodness?



What kind of person would cut those beautiful hostas down when they are in their prime? And just when they are getting ready to bloom! They had so much to celebrate this 4th of July?

Read here to find out why the hostas underwent an Extreme Makeover tonight. Just wanted you to see that I actually do follow my own gardening advice. For all you doubters, I will continue to post periodic update pictures so you can see that the madness is not all for nothing.


Excuse me now, I need to go have a good cry and sink into the pit of gardening despair. I never said it was easy to do---but the greatest moves in life never are.

4 comments:

Mrs. C said...

I'm sending this link to Simms. I told him about it and he is quite leary to say the least! Our hostas outline the walkway from the gate of the backyard to the pool area. He doesn't want them to look yucky and then not grow back...

Might not trim them this year. He may need to 'see it' first before he believes it.

The Gang's Momma! said...

I took the plunge and cut my one hosta down. I figured I could afford to test the theory with just one.

I need more, but haven't gotten around to buying any - not used to that since I never had to buy them in any of our other houses. I just split and split and shared with Amy and Stacey and the neighbor and STILL had more than I could use. I digress!

I'm anxious to see what happens!

Emily said...

We cut all of our hostas. We are anxious to see what happens - so are our neighbors who think we are crazy!

Emily said...

7*24*07
When can we expect to see new growth? We are getting impatient.

If you have any change in your hostas from these pictures, please post new pictures.