Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Works-For-Me-Wednesday: Cleaning with Vinegar

Vinegar is a great and cheap all purpose cleaner. There are literally hundreds of uses for cleaning & disinfecting with vinegar in your home. Here are just a few of my favorite ways for using vinegar:
  • Clean a teapot. Boil a mixture of water & vinegar in the teapot. Wipe away the grime.
  • Clean the dishwasher. Run a cup of vinegar through the whole cycle once a month to reduce soap build up on the inner mechanisms and on glassware.
  • Clean stainless steel by wiping with a vinegar dampened cloth.
  • Deodorize the kitchen drain. Pour a cup of vinegar down the drain once a week. Let stand 30 minutes and then flush with cold water.
  • Clean china and fine glassware. Add a cup of vinegar to a sink of warm water. Gently dip the glass or china in the solution and let dry.
  • Unclog a drain. Pour a handful of baking soda down the drain and add 1/2 cup of vinegar. Rinse with hot water.

Bonus tip: Spray your Tupperware with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in tomato bases. No more stains.

If you want to see over 100 more great tips and ideas, visit Shannon over at Rocks in My Dryer.

tags: Works for Me Wednesday

10 comments:

Emily said...

This is perfect timing. As soon as I finished reading my daily blogs, I was going to google "how to clean a teapot". Does it matter how much water and how much vinegar?

Unknown said...

Great tips. Thanks.

Mama Duck said...

Ooo, thanks, I need to do this! Happy Wednesday - our tip is up as well!

Overwhelmed! said...

Okay, I need to go buy some vinegar! I had no idea it could be so useful. And I love the bonus tip as well! Thanks for sharing!

I've posted a WFMW baptism gift tip. Stop by and take a peek. :)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to clean the kitchen drain. Whenever there's something new to clean that I haven't thought of before the house just feels gross until I do, but now I think about it, it probably needs to be cleaned, thanks!

Shalee said...

I discovered vinegar this summer. It really is a do-all cleaner. Extra tip: use vinegar instead of fabric softener in your washer. The clothes get just as soft, the clothes stay brighter, lint is decreased in your dryer and it cost a fraction of the price for fabric softener. And no, your clothes, strangely enough, do not smell like vinegar!

Anonymous said...

Who woulda' thought???

Rae said...

Thanks for the tips!

Gina Conroy said...

I've heard about this but never tried it. Just might have to now!

My WFMWis about saving time and money.

PastormacsAnn said...

Thanks for the list. Think I'll run a cup through the dishwasher this week.